Friday, May 19, 2006

A not-so-fine week of waiting

Let's see... on Tuesday we gridded but did not fly. On Wednesday, about half of the field took off but the day was cancelled when it became obvious the next storm was coming. Thursday morning I left at 5 a.m. for home, but the pilots gridded and sat through hail and rain out there before the day was called off. Then, while people were cleaning up and de-rigging, an unfortunate pilot had a collision between his glider's wing and another pilot's vehicle - crunch! All felt terrible about the situation.
It's Friday morning. Tim reports that it is cold, and that they are waiting to see if the weather will clear this afternoon. After this, the forecast starts to look better: Very probable ridge day on Saturday, and improving weather out into next week. That's good, because they only have until Thursday to get a contest in!
As much as we all love Harry Leach's rhubarb custard pie and steakburgers, there's only so much recreational eating that you can enjoy. Let's hope they're flying on Saturday if not today.

No comments: